Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Last Night Arrival - 7/22/14

Arrived in Denver around 7:30 pm last night.  The travel wasn't hard but after being up since 4 am and adding 2 hours to the clock for me, I was tired.

Rented a car and headed for Dana's house.  She is a lovely lady I had the pleasure of meeting a couple years back when I came to Colorado for the 2012 Trail Dames Summit.  She was kind enough to let me crash at her house back then and extended the offer to this trip as well.  She is even dropping me off at the trail head tomorrow morning on her way to work.

Arrived at Dana's slightly later then I had planned.  I did not recharge my phone at the second airport lay over.  I was able to escape the airport just fine, and was making good time when my phone died.  Using the GPS drains it faster then normal.  All the info I had for Dana, phone number, address, etc was stored in my phone.  Luckily I spied a Walmart and exited the highway.  It just did not occur to me that I needed to pack a car charger.  I already have a quarter pound of wires in the pack.  Phone plugged in and back to the highway.

It was great to see Dana.  We chatted for a bit, she had work and I was just beat so we said our good nights.  I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Acclimation time and errands - 7/23/14

I awoke to a beautiful dog in my face at 7:02 am.  I felt rested and ready...  Only I am not hiking today.  I originally planned on the rental car and a zero day so I could meet up with a long lost relative.  Unfortunately some medical issues came up and it wasn't possible.  So, I spent the day doing last minute errands and just putzing around.

Went to the REI.  I hemmed and hawed on what cooking system I wanted to use.  The Pocket Rocket w/canister or my standby alcohol stove w/HEET.  Since at home I never could locate my Pocket Rocket the alcohol stove won out.  On the plan I continued to run it through my head and decided I really wanted to go with the canister stove, that meant a trip to REI.  (Besides who doesn't want to get to see every REI out there!)

At REI, I purchased yet another Pocket Rocket, a canister, a small towel and a container of Nuu Energy tabs for my water.  Also, a little something I saw for my hubby.

In the REI parking lot I took my pack out of the duffel bag it had traveled in.  Omitted a couple more small items from the pack that I really can live without. All of those items, the alcohol stove, the "something" for my husband were placed into the duffle bag.  The bag was then compressed and zipped up to make a small square package.



On my way to REI I saw a street sign that pointed to Waterton Canyon.  That is the trailhead I will leave out of tomorrow.  Curiosity got the better of me and I had to go check it out.  Just love when the first sign I see, says "Mountain Lions are very active in this area, be alert!"  Next sign has instructions on what to do when you come upon Longhorn Sheep.  In reality, I will be lucky if I get a sighting of either.



I called the Durango Hostel, only to find it was closed, out of business.  I checked out a number of the local motels but could not pick one to send a package to.  Next I called the Durango Post Office and asked if they would hold a box for 6 weeks.  The gentleman said that the rule is 30 days, but that I was only stretching it a little.  (2 weeks seems a lot to me.)  He told me to mark that I was a CT HIKER and the ETA (estimated date of arrival). He said there should be no problems with them holding it.  I found a Flat Rate box at the PO that that the duffle just fit into.  It is now on it's way to Durango, just like me.

Stopped for lunch at a Pei Wei for some Asian food.  Doubt I am going to find much sushi along that trail.  None that I would be willing to eat anyway.

I have to say whoever invented the GPS is a fantastic person.  I maneuvered around the out-skirts of Denver like a pro.

Currently waiting for Dana to come home from work.  We will then return my car, possibly get dinner and be ready to head out in the morning. Which means that my next journal entry will actually be a TRAIL JOURNAL!

Till then, be happy, be healthy.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

No comments:

Post a Comment