Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Plane tickets secure, food in the dehydrator.

The plane ticket has been purchased. I changed my departure date by two days and saved almost $100.  Not too shabby.  I am hoping to met up with a long lost relative and needed wheels, so a car was rented for 2 days.

I have be lucky enough to have been invited to stay at a friend's house, who will also drop me off at the Denver trailhead. It is always nice to have a local connection.  Not sure of what will happen when I reach the Durango end. How I will get back to make the return flight is still up in the air, but I know it will all come about when it needs to.

I have given myself 6 weeks to visit with a couple of folks and get the hike completed.  I think that is very doable. I plan on starting out slow until I get acclimated. Then work up to some good mileage days. Since I am solo I can hike as early and as late as I would like.  That should get me a few extra miles every day, which of course adds up.  I don't, however, want to rush through by any means.  There is just so much beauty and I want to take time to sit and soak it all in.

I have received the Colorado Trail Atlas, by Erik the Black. (I used his lightweight atlas on the John Muir Trail.) I wanted to order the Colorado Trail, All in One packet with guidebook, data book and maps but it is unavailable from their Online Store.  I was told they are updating it. I am afraid that if I order it once available that it will not reach me before I leave. The CT Atlas has maps in it but unsure if they are enough... Since I am alone I don't want to wander off course.

I gave up dehydrating food for the trail years ago, I just wanted something mindless that could be boiled and eaten.  After having attended one of Lightheart's dehydration workshops, I have decided to give it another try.
Last night I made up breakfast fruit leathers. Using fruit, juice, coconut, wheat germ, flax and chia seeds.  Some have a bit of protein powder. Since breakfast has been an on-going problem for me this should help. I just can not seem to eat food in the morning without gagging. Hoping the sweet fruit will go down easy.

This morning I made hamburger jerky which has always been a favorite of mine. Tonight we had spaghetti and I will be dehydrating the leftovers. That is something Judy taught in her workshop.  Dehydrate those leftovers.  Can't wait to try dehydrating some Chinese or Thai food.

I haven't even started to get some food boxes prepared to mail out. Good thing I work well under pressure. I think when the calendar turns to July a fire will ignite and I will get it all done.

So, the travel arrangements have been secure, check!  Shuttle to the trailhead, check! One guide/data book, check! Gear, shoes, check!  Once the maildrops are complete I will be set.  Still unsure if I should use the soda can alcohol stove or bring the MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery????

Five weeks until take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment