Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cousin', steps, bridges ....

DATE:  May 12, 2014

START:
DESTINATION:  bear Creek Camp #2

DAILY MILEAGE: 12.4
TOTAL MILAGE:   38.9

DAILY Steps 31,721

NOTES:
23.  3 suspension. 13,078 wooden steps

The days hike was to be our longest of the trip so far, so we left camp about 45 minutes earlier.  Since yesterday had become a shorter day we needed to make up  a bit of miles.

The hike started out with a strenuous climb. I immediately began to pour out sweat like a faucet fully opened. Having had problems the day before I was a tad concerned.  What can ya do?  I left camp with a completely full Platypus. It made the climb a bit harder but necessary.

The Duke Electric Company built and maintains this section of trail.  On some of the steeper slopes the have embedded wooden block steps. Steps that are built far apart are hard on my short legs, especially with a loaded pack. Aloha keep count of today's steps. She came up with 1378 steps, give or take.  Some were on the steep inclines others on the steep descents. They were all rough on me, all 1378 of them.

When we got to the "boater's campsites" complete with picnic tables, fire ring and lantern holder we found an Immunity Necklace. (It is a Survivor show prop.). Maybe it wasn't the real deal but it looked the part.

We then crossed the Toxaway River on a 45 foot bride. Once again Aloha counted, yes, she is a bit strange. She came up with 23 bridges, 3 of which were suspension style.

The water was so much higher then when I last hiked it I did not even recognize the campsite as I passed by. Smokestack sat on a log with a nice view to puff a bit on his pipe. Aloha stay with him while I kept moving up. I had a slight burn going and figured I would run it out and kept going.  The ascent was long and grueling. It took a while but the other 2 final caught and surpassed me. At the top the sat for a break. Still feeling the burn I kept moving.

There was a bit more ascending before the trail turned into an old logging road that pretty much skirted the mountain with fairly mild ups and downs. I was loving it and just cruising. It was about 4 miles before the others caught up to me.  It was beautiful hiking. I was a happy girl. Of course that could not last forever!  I am still a bit breathy on the ascents. Working on better breath control. The legs, however, were doing great.

We enjoyed lunch at a campsite by ?? creek. Once again a tuna salad wrap.  Today it was complimented by cheese. I enjoyed it but wish I hadn't eaten all the sundries tomatoes yesterday.

Came across a 3.5 foot black snake across the trail. He was not moving. We carefully walked around him. All the while he kept a eye on us.

We met 6 young men out on their first backpacking trips. They were essentially doing out trip in reverse. They were hot, tired and basically wanted out.   I doubt they made their intended camp for the evening.

Later in the afternoon we crossed Horse Pasture River. From there it was a tremendous climb up.

Sleep is taking me away...

There is more to say but I can not keep my eyes open.  Exhaustion is taking over. Needless to say I am having a good time.


SIGNATURE:

Wilderness is not  a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. - Edward Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment