Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Up, up, and more up.

DATE:  5/9/14

START:  Tablerock State Park, Visitors Center
DESTINATION: Old Homestead

DAILY MILEAGE: 8.2
TOTAL MILAGE:  8.2

DAILY HIGH POINT:

NOTES:

Today turned out to be a rougher day then I had planned for.  For some strange reason I remember the 8 miles being a bit easier after reaching the  Pinicle.  So I was playing mind games with myself and that is always exhausting.

Smokestack took the lead and maintained that the entire day.  He is in great shape and already trail hardened.  Aloha who has been working out (and looking great) remained behind me most of the day as we had a lot of catching up to do.  So there was a lot of chatter as we hiked.

As I said I played head games with myself and it made the last 3 miles rather tough.  At one point I urged Aloha to head off, so Smokestack would know everything was okay, that I was just dragging a bit.

Once on my own I was able to tell myself to suck it up and act like a hiker. Aren't self talks grand.  I knew that part of the problem was nutrition. Aloha and been telling me to stop and eat, but when group hiking I really do not like to stop without the group.  Since, however, I was now already alone I took care of business.

At the first available water I stopped.  Guzzled a quart and a half. (No it was not filtered, the Sawyer has not left the pack!). Had a little sponge bath and relaxed for a few minutes.  Had it not been so late I probably would have removed the shoes. Instead I grabbed the other half of my sub and had dinner.  After a few, I felt much better and ready to make the final push.

As I arrived in camp, Aloha was just headed off to see if I was ok. I bet she was glad she did not have to hike down and find me, only to have to hike back up again.

I could not find workable trees near her site and had to move on the other side.  So, she is over next to Smokestack and I across the way between two other couples.

I managed to get my hammock up, water, eat some M&m's, chat around the fire pit and activate my Spot before the sky opened up.  Now every one is zipped up tight in their tents.  I on the other hand have my awning up and am sitting in the hammock looking out beyond my front porch and feeling pretty good.

Hopefully I will find my groove tomorrow or the next day and poor Smokestack won't be hiking all alone.  Think I"ll brew some tea before bed.

Until tomorrow. Enjoy life, you only get one.


Sorry no pics will post later.


SIGNATURE:

Wilderness is not  a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. - Edward Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment