Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Swim, drown, surf...

DATE: 5/10/14

START:  Old Homestead
DESTINATION:  Laural Creek

DAILY MILEAGE: 10.7
TOTAL MILAGE:  16.8

DAILY STEPS:  30,000 Steps

NOTES:
We were up early around 6 am but did not pull out until 8:15.  As out of shape as I am no large mileage days are on the agenda, so it really does not matter when we depart.

Hiking up Sassafras in the thick humidity had me sweating pretty hard, early in the day.  It only got worse. At one point I was putting out so much body fluids I honestly thought I might drown  My clothes were sopping wet and the weight of them began to weigh on me. At one point I took my wet shirt off an left on just the camisole. At lunch it went back on.

There were a couple of morning breaks at around the 2 & 4 hour marks.  Around 1:00 with the ascent and the humidity I was beginning to stagger and was much in need of lunch.  Luckily as I crested yet another ascent, I found Smokestack and Aloha stopped for some lunch.  Today was simply a tuna salad wrap. I had some sundries tomatoes but forgot to put them in.  Leaves more for tomorrow.

Shortly into the hike post-lunch the sky opened and the threat of rain became a reality. I was just to tired to put my pack cover on and hoped for the best. My clothes were already dripping wet so no need for a raincoat. The wetter my skirt got, the heavier it got.  It was already a tad loose.  It began to inch down more and more. I thought it was going to fall off when it was so low it was slapping the back of my legs.

As I was descending a really steep set of wooden, block, steps the bottom step (which was a rock) began to slide.  I surfed it for a few seconds before finding myself sprawled across the trail, covered in mud. Luckily only my pride was hurt. As I ended the next set of steep steps I saw Aloha. She was rinsing off by the creek.  I joined her.  I removed my wet and now muddy skirt and blouse. Usually my body heat will dry my clothes but the sweat and humidity just were not working in my favor. I rinsed them, wrang them and strapped them to my pack. I was now hiking in my camisole and underwear. Not a pretty sight.

Not exactly sure where the next camping opportunity would be we gladly stayed at Laurel Creek where Smokestack was waiting for us.


SIGNATURE:

Wilderness is not  a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. - Edward Abbeyt

No comments:

Post a Comment