Sunday, May 4, 2014

Going for a small walk in the woods.

This year's cards have arrived.  I have over the years learned it is easier to hand out cards then it is to keep writing down the journal information or my email. People are always interested once they find out what I am doing and enjoy following along.




I am headed to the mountains on Tuesday.  A quick visit with some wonderful hiking friends and then off to hike.  This hike is more of a fun activity verses a shakedown hike.  I am pretty much carrying everything I have carried in the past.  Hopefully a little bit less. The only item I am adding to the pack is the new Sawyer Mini Filter. While I have been a free drinker (no filtering of any kind) for the past couple of decades, I am always a tad concerned of new organisms that I have not built up immunities to.  That said I did just fine on the JMT without any filtering what-so-ever. The Sawyer is incredibly light and suppose to be easy to use with instant results.  I will try it out on this play hike and see if it will make the cut.



The trail we will be hiking is called the  Foothills Trail. I hiked this beautiful 75 mile trail a few years back and really liked it.  While I dislike to re-hike a trail it was conveniently located and the right amount of miles for my girlfriend. Unfortunately, she still has to work and has to fit hiking into a week's vacation.  I am very lucky that I have been given the life I have, where I have the time to live out my passions on the trail without having to fit it into some employer's work schedule.

I really wanted to take Mr Murphy along, however, his initial hike here in Florida did not go well.  I know he loves the trail and especially the mountains, but I am still unsure of his limits.  Since there are other people involved in the hike and the possibilities of catching a few days in Damascus for Trail Days, the decision to leave him home was made.



I have not even begun to pack and I leave in 24 hours, so I guess I should get my act together and get busy.

1 comment:

  1. Alright, HIKING SEASON is officially under way! You go girl. I look forward to getting with you when you get out here to CO!

    ReplyDelete